Tips On Finding Reliable Computer Repair Shops
Finding reliable and affordable computer repair shops you can trust in the Bay Area can seem like an impossible task. There are lots of options and it can be hard to choose which one is right for you. Fortunately, there are a few things that can help you find trustworthy computer repair shops for your needs.
First, Don’t Rush the Process
It can feel like an emergency any time your laptop or desktop quits, especially if you’re in the middle of a big project. However, handing it over to that neighbor kid down the street or rushing to line up at the Genius Bar might cause you more angst than not. Take a little time to fine out what makes up computer repair shops you can trust
Are They Licensed? It’s The Law!
The state of California Department of Consumer Affairs requires a opens in a new windowlicense for all computer repair services. Specifically, it requires license registration for businesses or individuals “that offer repair, service or maintenance of consumer electronics.” It is often referred to as a BEAR license – Bureau of Electronic & Appliance Repair. They must have a valid license/registration before they operation. Make sure they have a license to fix computers and that their status is “clear”, meaning active.
Ask People You Know for Referrals
Friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers can be a goldmine when it comes to finding a reliable, local laptop repair technician. They can share their experience with the companies they used, and give their honest, unbiased opinion. When asking for referrals, it’s a good idea to have some questions prepared:
- How long did it take to get a technician to fix it?
- Was there a free diagnosis first?
- Did the technician give an estimate before starting service?
- Was the technician clean and professional?
- Were they happy with the repair?
- Did they feel the cost was fair and affordable?
- Would they call the same provider again for service if needed?
Check Online for Reviews
Reviews are a powerful indicator of what you can expect when you hire a PC or Apple repair company. Every company makes promises on their website. The experiences of other customers can help you determine if it’s a computer repair shop you can trust. A company with a lot of bad reviews is usually not a good investment. Likewise, a company with a perfect record is probably getting fake reviews published.
No one is absolutely perfect, not your auto mechanic, your appliance repairman, your plumber nor your computer or phone repair technician. Everyone has an off day sometimes. That’s true for companies too. It is impossible to please everyone all the time. If a company has a few bad reviews mixed in with a lot of good reviews, they may still be a good choice. The most important factor is how the company responds to the poor review and seeks to resolve the matter.
Look For Professional Associations
Just like a house contractor, good computer repair companies near you are associated with professional service organizations. Check out Angie’s List, opens in a new windowDiamond Certified and Better Business Bureau to name a few. These associations will also highlight if the company is helpful in other areas. Do they look to solve problems or just to up sell you?
Be Wary of Online Repair/Virus Removal Scams
We’ve all seen the Virus Fixer ads on Google and elsewhere. Just remember, if your PC or Mac has a virus that your anti-virus software can’t remove, it must be done manually. There is no way this can be done remotely. It’s an attempt to get data or hold information ransom for payment. Don’t fall victim to these online pc fixing scams
Consider Using a Local Service Versus a Large Chain
When you want fast, personal service, it is often easier to get from a small or local computer repair company instead of a large chain or the manufacturer. Often, these local PC/Apple repair companies offer guarantees on their work and some even offer refunds if not fully satisfied with the work. Manufacturers rarely do this if at all.
- Local companies tend to employ local technicians who live in the communities where they work. Their personal and professional reputation is on the line when they do their job, so they’re more likely to be fully committed.
- Independent computer repair companies are usually privately owned. This gives them the flexibility to do whatever they can to help their customer where the big chains may be forced to follow corporate guidelines when completing service.
- Large companies rely on volume and brand recognition to make money. Smaller companies depend entirely on their reputation, so they will be much more motivated to go the extra mile to please their customer.
Shop Around – Computer Repair Shops
The treatment you get when you call a company will give you a good indication of what kind of service you can expect when they’re in your home. Do they answer the phone right away without leaving you on hold? Do they answer all of your questions patiently? Are they understanding if you say you’ll call back? All of these are indicators of a company that takes customer service seriously.
Questions to Ask When Calling Computer Repair Shops
Most repair services will have questions for you regarding the issue with your laptop or desktop, but it is essential to ask a few key questions of your own.
- Do you take (preferred form of payment)?
- Most companies won’t ask you to pay until they have completed service. It can be awkward if you don’t have the form of payment they accept.
- It is also a good idea to ask if the company takes credit cards even if you plan on paying with cash. If a company only accepts cash, it may indicate a company that is not legitimate because credit card payments can be tracked.
- Are your technicians licensed and insured?
- This is important because insurance is important if something goes wrong or the technician gets hurt while in your home or business.
- Is your work guaranteed?
- Make sure there is a warranty on both the parts and labor. If your computer breaks a few days after the repair, it’s important to know you can count on the company to fix the issue again without any additional charges.
- How long will it take to get an appointment?
- It’s true that sometimes you have to wait for good service, but you shouldn’t have to wait a week. If the company can’t send a tech out within a day or so of your request, consider moving on. Many companies offer same day appointments.
Don’t be afraid to ask for more information or time to make your decision
Finding computer repair shops nearby that you trust and feel comfortable with can take some time. The best choice will always be the company that makes you feel as though you are valued as a customer.
ClickAway Computer repairs home and business computers, phones and networks as well as provided managed IT services for Northern California residents and companies. ClickAway services are affordable and are done to the highest standards. Our free diagnosis before you pay is a favorite among our 750,000 customers. ClickAway also rents computers and recovers lost files and data from all types of electronics. Just opens in a new windowClickAway Repairs Computers the technology problems our technicians solve every day.
Read Jamie H.’s review of ClickAway Computer + Phone + Network Repair on Yelp