What is a computer virus & related trouble shooting steps
A computer virus is a malicious piece of computer code designed to spread from device to device. A subset of malware, these self-copying threats are usually designed to damage a device or steal data.
Think of a biological virus – the kind that makes you sick. It’s persistently nasty, keeps you from functioning normally, and often requires something powerful to get rid of it. A computer virus is very similar. Designed to replicate relentlessly, computer viruses infect your programs and files, alter the way your computer operates or stop it from working altogether. Now that you understand what is a computer virus, let’s discuss how it get’s there in the first place.
Thousands of new viruses, trojans, and worms are created every day. Sometimes, even the best anti-virus software in the world can’t protect your computer from being infected. Here are some of the most common ways this can happen
- Clicking on an intriguing pop-up ad which contains a trojan
- Opening a malicious email attachment
- Downloading a virus from a file-sharing program such as LimeWire
- Your anti-virus software was not updated
- Your system was infected before anti-virus was installed