Troubleshooting steps – how to remove virus from iPhone
Though iPhone viruses are rare, they can happen. Typically, this occurs through a few different methods, but it’s almost never totally your fault. Hackers are clever, and are always finding new ways to infect devices for nefarious purposes. You can get a virus from clicking links you don’t recognize, or downloading sketchy apps.
A common method for hackers to load viruses and malware on your iPhone is via iMessage. You’ll get a message telling you something urgent, and encouraging you to click a link to resolve an issue or claim a prize. When you do, your phone is subject to whatever is on the other end – and it’s almost never good.
If you believe your iPhone has a virus, we’ll show you how to clean your phone from virus threats, how to get rid of a virus on your phone already, and discuss some apps that can help keep your Mac and iPhone safe from harm.
How to find out if my iPhone has a virus or malware?
Plainly put, your iPhone will be acting strangely. Devices with viruses or malware are often slow, and can hijack normal functionality, like search. This is why removing viruses from iPhone or iPad is so important. If your phone is acting abnormally, consider what links you may have clicked recently. There’s no Safari virus on iPhone, but Safari can be a gateway for hackers to load malware or other bloatware onto your device.
You should also think about which apps you’ve recently downloaded. Apps are a direct way for hackers to gain entry to your phone, and it’s not always as direct as it seems. Developers often use snippets of code called APIs that are open source to access services in the cloud, and hackers have been known to inject malware and viruses into APIs.
Prevention is still the best path forward. Don’t click links you’re not confident in, and don’t download sketchy apps from any source.
How to remove virus from iPhone
Now that we know why it happens, let’s discuss how to get rid of virus on phone and keep it from occurring again.
- Delete apps that look suspicious. Dig through the apps on your phone: do any look suspicious? Do you recall downloading each of them, and do you use them often enough to keep around? The answer to “how to remove virus from iPhone?” is often as simple as deleting an app. Apps have associated files, and deleting them typically removes the files they imported. All you need to do is press and hold on the app icon, and select “Remove App” from the menu that appears.
- Clear history and website data. Understanding how to remove virus from iPhone history is critical, too. Viruses can live in your browser history or website data, especially if you revisit a suspect website on your phone often. Viruses can re-inject files onto your phone, perhaps doing more damage.
- Restart your iPhone. Viruses and malware often happen while your phone is operating, and shutting your phone off completely can stop a virus or malware form working. It’s a simple measure that can often save you a lot of headache. Keep in mind you will have to shut your phone down; putting it into Airplane Mode won’t do the trick. All you have to do is hold down the power button on the left side of your iPhone and the volume up button on the right side for a few seconds. On the screen that appears, slide the icon at the top of the screen to power your phone off.
- Restore your iPhone from a previous backup version. Apple provides a small sliver of iCloud storage for backups, but it’s often not enough to store many backups. It’s also not a useful method if you’ve had a virus on your phone for a long while. Each backup iCloud has may also be corrupted!
- Restore with factory settings. If all else fails, or you simply want to start completely over with your iPhone, you can always reset your device to factory settings and start anew. Know that any data you haven’t backed up will be lost
Remember, preventing issues is far better than solving them. Fortunately, opens in a new windowClickAway gives a free diagnosis before you decide to pay anything. The risk is minimal but the knowledge of what is wrong is of huge value. Call 800.960.9030. Request a free quote.