When you have a water damaged phone, ClickAway technicians are here to help.
Quick tips for revival of a water damaged phone
iPhone water damage repair – Android water damage repair
- DO NOT TRY TO POWER ON phone. Running an electrical current through a wet device is bad news. If the phone is still on, power off immediately.
- DO NOT TRY to put the phone on a charger.
- Shake off as much excess water as you can. If your phone has a removable battery, take that out and shake off as well.
- Dry off unit, and place in a ziploc bag of UNCOOKED RICE, or Silica Gels. (the little do not eat packets that come in shoe boxes). Leave near a window with some warmth for at least 24 hours. Rice is great for absorbing liquid and this is actually a common method for drying smartphones and tablets. You can also buy dedicated phone drying pouches, which are worth having at home if you’re the clumsy type. If you don’t have, don’t bother going out to buy one. Time is of essence, so get your phone into rice as soon as possible.
- Let your phone dry for a day or two. Do not be tempted to switch it on to see if it still works. Put your SIM card in an old phone, or ask a friend or relative if they have a spare device you can borrow.
- After a couple of days, you can remove the phone from the rice, insert the battery and switch it on.
- If your phone doesn’t turn on, try charging it. If that doesn’t work, the battery may be damaged. You could try a replacement battery, or consider taking your smartphone to a repair shop to be checked by a professional.
- If your smartphone has turned on and it is running as it should, you should still keep a close eye on it for the next few days, to see if you notice anything out of the ordinary. Play some music to check the speakers and ensure the touch screen still responds as it should.
Water-resistant and waterproof phones
If you’re prone to spilling on your phone often, there are a number of brands advertised as water-resistant or waterproof. However, be aware that when phone manufacturers say this, it only applies under a special set of circumstances.
A phone’s resistance to water often depends on the clarity of the water, the depth of submersion, and the length of time for which it is submerged. We wouldn’t advise testing your smartphones’ water resistance capabilities by putting it in the washing machine or throwing it in the pool.
Wet Android Phones
So you got your Android phone wet and now it’s not working normally, or may not even be turning on. Well, that’s unfortunate but frankly speaking, there’s only so much that you can do about it. Unless you are electronics savvy or have a knack for things electronics, fixing a water damaged phone, even if it’s an Android, is beyond you.
If your phone has already stopped responding after attempts to power it on (which you must never do after soaking the device in water!), it may be too late.
This post is intended to raise awareness on what to do (and not to do) after a device has been soaked in liquid. If you want to look for do-it-yourself guides to fix hardware issues resulting from water damage, please use YouTube or browse other forums for more resources. How to get water out of phone is better handled by qualified professionals so save your effort by not fixing the damaged part itself.
Call ClickAway at 1-800-960-9030 and schedule an appointment for liquid damaged phone repair.
ClickAway is a full-service computer repair, phone repair, network installation and IT services company. Above all, we provide professional and helpful customer care for all your home, personal, or small business technology needs. ClickAway combines all your tech needs in one stop. We are just a click away for new purchases, repair service or if you simply have a question.