Selfie Taking 101
The selfie taking movement doesn’t seem to be dying down any time soon. It a strange cultural phenomenon that involves holding your phone’s camera at arm’s or stick length to capture your place in time and share it with the world. In November 2013, the word “selfie” was announced as being the “word of the year” by the Oxford English Dictionary and became an accepted word in Scrabble a year later. Inc. Magazine reported over 300 million selfies on Instagram last year and that every third photo taken by people aged 18 to 24 was a selfie.
Selfie taking is not that hard. With a little thought, you can capture share-worthy self images in no time. Here are a few tips to capture that perfect selfie.
8 Selfie Taking Tips
- Be careful of your surroundings. Since ClickAway does so many phone repairs, we hear all about the ways in which they break. Some selfie moments even lead to people being injured. So watch that selfie stick and know that posing with animals can be unpredictable.
- Get a smartphone with a good quality camera. It doesn’t make any sense to struggle with an old phone with so many trade-in offers out there. Research typically points to the Google Pixel 2XL has having the best quality camera but the new iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones are great too. Let us give you a trade-in price if you’re thinking about a new phone.
- Make sure you have decent lighting. Don’t be one of those to share a photo that’s way too dark, orange or grainy. Take your selfie in natural light or in a well-lit area. Adjust the camera’s settings if you need to. That’s what they are there for.
- Don’t force your facial expression. This takes practice but if you imagine something funny or what makes you happy, your face actually reflects it.
- Test with different angles. The rule of thumb is that most people look best when the camera is angled slightly higher than their head.
- Download an app for editing. You can go crazy here with so many apps out there. Our favorites are Facetune and Snapseed.
- Go easy on the filters. We are not big fans of those apps that add really strange filters but some of them can be very nice. We like vignette filters when it’s just a single person.
- Don’t take your selfies too seriously. Try to remember the selfies that you have seen and liked. Not everyone is going to be pleased so just have a good time and focus on the most natural photo possible.
opens in a new windowClickAway provides Phone Repair, Computer Repair, Laptop Repair, Apple Mac Repair, IT managed services and network installation and cabling. Trusted by 750,000 customers since 2002. We beat or match lowest prices in computer sales, repair, Apple repair, home and business networking, virus removal, data recovery and smart home services. Free in-store diagnostics.
Our goal is to maximize the level of satisfaction our customers derive from their home and business devices. Because we are a value-added reseller for Apple, Samsung, Dell, HP, IBM, and other major manufacturers we offer an unbeatable combination of great pricing and unparalleled customer service. We support our customers and our products even after the sale is complete.